Friday, 27 March 2015

Canvas Board

Hi

I decided to make something with a Spring/Easter theme using more of our acrylic paints on canvas board. I wasn't too sure on what the outcome was going to be so I needed a base that was able to withstand a lot of layers.


I am entering this to the following challenges:
Claritystamp Challenge Blog - 25 Anything But A Card
Deep Ocean Challenge Blog - 100 Easter/Spring and Celebration
Crafter's Cafe Challenge Blog - 109 Spring Flowers
Craft Your Passion Challenges - 254 Anything Goes
Crafting From The Heart- 52 Anything Goes
Crafty Cardmakers and More - 135 Spring Has Sprung


I looked at what Claritystamp stencils we had and decided to use the Woodland stencil first. I stippled cerulean blue paint on the top right and phthalo green on the bottom left, mixing with white at the centre. Due to the board texture, the edges were not very sharp but I didn't mind as I was going to add more paint. I applied white paint with a palette knife by lightly dabbing the flat surface of the knife to create more textures. Once dried, I then applied lime green paint on the raised areas which looked like veins of a leaf.

I used phthalo green again with the Floral Heart stencil on the bottom left and stopping halfway. I also painted a corrugated card and pressed it on the top left but wasn't too successful. I could see the outline of the Woodland stencil so I decided to use the inner stencil to colour the branches with burnt sienna. I then used Spectrum Noir to sharpen the edges a little and add a bit of shading before thinly applying white paint all over.


Whilst waiting for the paints to dry, I stamped 4 Daisies on a piece of white paper. I stuck 1 on the board with white paint and then coloured, cut and shaped 3 but leaving these to one side for later. I then used the Agapanthus stamp on the bottom left of the board with Archival ink.

I used the Eggs stencil with a glue gun, went around the edges first then lifted the stencil off before filling in the centre as I wasn't sure if I could get the stencil off the board once dried. I wanted a bit more colour so I sprayed yellow Aquatint with Mica powders which worked on the board but not on the eggs like I hoped for. I tried the acrylic paint on the dried glue and it worked so I thickly painted the eggs with white and the centre of the board.

I played with the glue gun a bit more, adding the squiggly lines and the branches, coloured with burnt sienna and sanded down. The eggs were still wet so I wiped the excess off and added more glue on top. Barry suggested to use more Mica powders using the VersaMarker on the eggs which I did and was very happy with the result.


I made a bow using natural grass, added nail caviar, moss and the stamped Daisies around the board. I also dotted around green and white pen before adding Glossy Accents in the centre of the daisies. Due to the amount of layers, you could hardly see some of the stencils used but I think it adds to the texture of the whole image.


Please leave a comment and let me know what you think.

Thanks for looking.

Jay




16 comments:

  1. Wow this is stunning I love the colours you have used and what you have done with your heat gun it's lovely. Thank you for entering the challenge and good luck. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many different techniques Jay, thanks for sharing. Your finished canvas is great, and definitley fulfills your Spring/Easter theme. Good luck in the Clarity challenge. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like your artwork - such lovely colours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful canvas and so interesting to look at. Your variety of techniques marry together to create a stunningly colourful but delicate piece of work. Thank you for taking the time to enter this month's Clarity challenge and good luck. ;~}

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely canvas Jay, demonstrating some great techniques. I love the colour scheme you've used which definitely gives your canvas a spring/Easter feel. Thank you for entering the Clarity challenge this month. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like your campus the texture is really nice good colour good luck in Clarity challenge

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely canvas Jay. Lots of work put into this piece but certainly well worth it. best of luck in the challenge xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great colour scheme Jay; it certainly captures the essence of springtime. All those layers have created such lovely textures. Thanks for entering the Clarity challenge, and good luck. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments. It was a great pleasure working with acrylics on canvas again with what I've learnt from card making, took me back to my uni days.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all the different textures in this piece. Quite eye catching. Good luck in the challenge. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Absolutely gorgeous! Your texture is amazing and I love what you did with your egg stencil! Thank you for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More for our 'Spring has Sprung' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty love all the details. Thanks for joining us at Crafty Cardmakers and More.

    Bec

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another lovely detailed card. Well done Jay! x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is stunning, I love all the different elements on your card. Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Cardmakers and more Challenge. Marlene DT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful card. Thanks for sharing with us at The Crafter's Cafe this week.
    Hugs
    Fiona DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jay this is just amazing. Thank you sooooo much for entering our challenge at CCM&More.
    Hugs Kimx

    ReplyDelete